The Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research (VvS+OR) is a learned society and a professional organization of approximately 800 members that unites those engaged in the fields of Statistics and Operations Research, from areas of application to fundamental research.The Society was founded on August 15, 1945. Conform to the goal of the Society, membership is open to everyone who pursues to improve the application and study of sound statistics and operations research, in the service of science and society, both on a national and international level.
To achieve this goal, the VvS+OR has numerous activities, among which:
- The organization of events, including the Annual Meeting of the Society.
- The publication of the scientific journal "Statistica Neerlandica" and the Society's magazine STAtOR
- The Van Dantzig Prize that is awarded every five years to someone up to the age of 40 with an eminent, theoretical or applied, contribution to the Science of Statistics or Operations Research in the previous five years.
- A yearly award for the best thesis in both a Bachelor and a Master program.
- In addition, events, conferences, and awards are organized separately by the various divisions of the VvS+OR.
- The support of initiatives in the areas that are covered by the goal of the Society.
Recent plans concern the:
- Promotion of the rich history of the Society
- The Initiation of The Young Statisticians Division within the Society
- Review of the Society's policy regarding Certificates for individuals and Accreditation of university courses
Information on the divisions of the Society can be found here.